British supermarket behemoth Tesco is expected to be on the verge of releasing its own budget 7″ Android tablet, possibly at the £99 price point.
If the rumours are true, tesco will be directly targeting Amazon’s budget Kindle Fire tablets, which the etailer sells cheaply in order to sell those customers access to films, music, and games through Amazons services. Tesco recently acquired movie streaming service Blinkbox, with Blinkbox Music and Blinkbox Books likely to be offering very competitively-priced digital content.
Tesco is also rumoured to be launching a free ad-supported streaming television service called ClubCard TV – although it is yet to reach any agreements on content.
The specs for the rumoured device are:
- 1.6ghz Quadcore Processor
- Quadcore graphics, size unknown
- 1gb RAM
- 16gb Onboard Storage
- Micro SD Slot
- Digital Compass
- 7″ IPS Screen at 720p (1280×720) at 245ppi
- 2mpx camera on the front side
- 3mpx camera on the back side
- stereo speakers
- Micro HDMI Output
- Micro USB
- Available in Blue, Purple,Red, Black
- 9hrs of video playback on a single charge
[Photograph by Gordon Joly]