The DevOps philosophy has had a major transformative effect on tech organizations, starting from how they function as a business entity to the execution of software development projects. DevOps effectively combines the core development principles with particular attention to speedy and shorter lifecycles. It also makes sure that the features and fixes are deployed quickly, efficiently, and more often.
What is DevSecOps?
The DevSecOps philosophy is executed in an agile framework, breaking the whole project into small parts, making it easier to manage. It is like DevOps but with a difference- DevSecOps integrates security on all aspects of the development process. It helps in establishing constant communication between the developer and security team- which proved to be quite valuable and was never considered until the latter stage of the waterfall model.
In the DevSecOps model, everyone in the team is responsible for security. It merges two separate goals of speedy delivery and secured code in a single streamlined process. Here, the security threats are taken care of as soon as they arise, rather than waiting to detect threats and vulnerabilities in the production. In addition, DevSecOps makes sure that the security aspect is considered in every decision made during the app development cycle.
To realize the overall value of DevSecOps tools in terms of responsiveness and agility, keep a close eye on application security through its entire development cycle. In short, this is the overall premise of DevSecOps.
What is the importance of DevSecOps?
The importance of DevSecOps is best highlighted by two fundamental changes that have taken place in the corporate world over the last few years:
1. The advent of new technologies
Thinking about the technological infrastructure, it has undergone a considerable transformation over the last two decades. The business world is now more dependent on technologies like cloud computing, shared resources, and dynamic provisioning. These changes have benefited businesses in terms of speed, cost, and agility.
2. The development speed
Looking in the past, one can easily notice that security concerns were left to be dealt with at the end of the project development. However, it was not a matter of concern as projects usually lasted for a few months and even years before they got completed. This gave the security team a lot of time to go deep down into security-related concerns and address them accordingly.
With the introduction of DevSecOps, there have been drastic changes in the speed and frequency of the project development cycle. Now iteration is done in a few days or weeks. The existing security and compliance monitoring tools cannot cope with the rapid changes brought down by DevSecOps. Hence, the security models need a change to cope up with the new expectations of the business.
What are the benefits of adopting DevSecOps?
There are several benefits of DevSecOps – from better collaboration to increased security. Also, the early development terms of the project provide multiple advantages to the business in the long run. For example, with greater security integrated into every aspect of the project development cycle, the dangers of mistakes can be reduced.
The benefits of DevSecOps include –
- With DevSecOps, you will spend less time configuring the security consoles, which was otherwise done manually. DevSecOps helps automate security functions like firewalling, vulnerability scanning, identity management, and access control throughout the project cycle. It helps the security teams work on the policies and assign their time and concentration on higher values and strategies.
- Developers often accuse security of being the firewall to innovation. They state that it carries a negative impact on the overall development process. By adopting the DevSecOps philosophy, businesses can now create products that are innovative and secure. The DevSecOps concept helps to increase the ROI of an organization in terms of security infrastructure. It helps in improving the operational efficiencies across the development and the security teams.
- Hackers are constantly searching for ways they can break into a software application. They always look out for the gaps, and on finding one, they penetrate the system. It is mostly done while the application is still under production as at that time, there is less security, and the app is exposed to more vulnerabilities. Such things will interfere with the quality of the project and increase the time taken to complete it but would also hamper the organization’s reputation. DevSecOps puts an end to this by integrating security measures at all levels of the development cycle.
- The DevSecOps philosophy helps in increasing the speed and agility of the security team. It promotes better communication and collaboration among the teams, increasing production efficiency and product reliability across different departments.
Businesses that have adopted the DevSecOps philosophy so far have gained positive results. The integrated security measure and shorter feedback process with improved controls and shared responsibility improve the overall production efficiency. Thus, DevSecOps always include a security component.