Danger of death by electrocution

Death by Charging an iPhone 5?

Danger of death by electrocution

Apple is investigating the story that a Chinese woman was reportedly killed by an electric shock whilst answering her iPhone 5 whilst it was plugged in and charging.

In an email, Apple said:

“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter”

The reports claim that a 23-year old flight attendant from China’s Xinjiang region, Ma Ailun, was electrocuted when she answered a call on her iPhone 5. The news was broken by Ma’s sister who says she saw her sister collapse. Going on she said:

“[I] hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.”

[Photograph by Tim Sheerman-Chase]

Share This